The Dynamite Company Museum provides an interesting insight into the social history of the Modderfontein factory and community. The museum is open Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 08h30 to 15h30, Fridays from 08h30 to 14h00 and on Saturdays from 08h30 to 12h30. Advance booking for groups is essential. Call the curator on 011 608 2747.

A number of historic buildings remain in the village including:

Franz Hoenig Haus, where Hoenig, the first factory manager lived. This has been restored.

The Casino which was built as a recreation centre for factory management.

The first weather station for the Transvaal.

The old Laboratorium.

Several old corrugated iron-clad homes dating back to the 1890s.

Restaurants & coffee shops:

33 High Street Restaurant – operates out of the home built for the Assistant Factory Manager in 1896. It offers pub lunches as well as more formal dining and is also home to a micro brewery.

Dynamite Coffee Shop on the banks of Flamingo Dam in Queen Street – currently closed for renovations.

Moddercrest Coffee Shop in the Moddercrest Office Reserve at the top of High Street.

Oakes Coffee Shop on High Street

Buonissimo for Italian pizza, pasta and deli fare.

Fireman’s Tavern on Ardeer Road.

The Conservation Society offers a walking tour for interest groups around some of the interesting aspects of the old village. This takes the form of an Urban Ramble and lasts about one-and-a-half to two hours and must be booked in advance. Groups should not exceed 20 people. Telephone: 011 608 2693 or 082 800 3704.

Anyone wanting to do this walk should include a visit to the museum as well. Allow at least four hours to visit this jewel just a stones-throw from Oliver Tambo International Airport, Central Johannesburg, Sandton and Midrand.

Suggested itinerary:

09:30 Arrive Dynamite Company Museum
10:30 Walking tour of village
12:30 Lunch
14:00 Depart Modderfontein

Advertisements